“Cinco De Tello” March Challenge Winning Recipe
“Brittan’s Challenge: Gummy Bears, Tuna & BBQ Sauce”
Tello’s Creation: Brittan’s Seared Tuna with Barbeque Gummy Sauce served over Chipotle Slaw
- 4 Tuna steaks
- 1 tbsp olive oil or canola oil
- ½ head of cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 red pepper julienne cut
- 1 green pepper julienne cut
- ½ red onion julienne cut
- 1 orange, segmented
- ½ cup Chipotle dressing
- ¼ cup Barbecue Sauce
- 1 ½ oz silver tequila
- 2 oz gummy bears
- 1 Tbs chipotle adobo
- Crispy Tortilla Strips
- Mix of dry herbs: 1 tbsp Oregano, 1tbsp Parsley, 1 tbsp Thyme, 1 tbs garlic powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Preparation for the Slaw
- Mix cabbage, red & green peppers, onions and dressing. Mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add orange segments.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve
Preparation for the Gummy BBQ Sauce
- Melt the gummy bears and tequila in a sauce pan at medium low heat.
- When all is melted, add the Chipotle adobo and barbeque sauce and stir.
Preparation for Tuna
- Brush both sides of Tuna with oil.
- Season with dry herb mixture and salt & pepper to taste.
- Place Tuna on grill to sear for 2 minutes per side, turning tuna about 45 degrees after one minute to get some good color and grill marks.
- Remove from grill, let sit for a minute and then slice.
- Plate your dish by placing the slaw mixture on a plate, then top the slaw with slices of tuna, drizzle the gummy BBQ sauce over the tuna and garnish with crispy tortilla strips.
Cream Dip on the side