“Cinco De Tello” June Challenge Winning Recipe
Makes 24 fresh oysters (yields 4 servings)
- Flour Coating
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt & pepper t/t
- Egg Dip
- 5 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup club soda
- Panko Coating
- 3 cups panko (Japanese)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
Using a standard breading method, to bread the oysters by dipping oysters in the flour mixture; then dip in egg, then in the bread crumbs. Fry in hot oil at about 350° until golden browned.
Peanut Dipping sauce: (yield 14 oz.)
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 ½ cup water
- Cayenne to taste
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
In a small heavy saucepan combine the peanut butter, the soy sauce, the lemon juice, the brown sugar, the garlic, water, and the cayenne, bring the mixture just to a boil, whisking until it is smooth. Remove from heat to cool, and then add scallions.
Dill pickled coleslaw (yield 18 oz)
- 3 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup scallions or chives
- 1 cup chopped dill pickles
Coleslaw Dressing (yield 12 oz.)
- Juice of 2 limes (1/2 cup)
- 1 Teaspoon, parsley coarsely chopped
- ⅓ Cup pickle juice
- 2Teaspoon, brown sugar
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 Teaspoon, prepared mustard or Dijon mustard
Mix diced carrots, scallions, cabbage and pickles in a large bowl.
Add dressing ingredients to the bowl, and stir in.
Finally, add shredded slaw, and blend well. If you need a bit more dressing, add in more pickle juice. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Place three- 2 ½ inch watermelon triangles on each plate. Top each watermelon with 1 ½ tablespoon of coleslaw. Top coleslaw with 2 fried oysters & skewer. Place ramekin of Peanut Dipping sauce on plate & serve..